We are excited that you are interested in our API. The Parakey API is a great tool to integrate Parakey into your own service and distribute mobile keys. This document will serve as a getting started and once you have read this document you can head over to the API specification where all endpoints and examples are documented.
There are two different ways to create an integration with Parakey
- Place API (Single place integration)
If you want to create an integration for a single Place in Parakey. Typically developed in-house or by a contractor that develops the integration for you.
How to use Place API (single place integration)
- Create an App (multi-place integration)
You want to create an "app" that can be added to multiple places. You can monitor and manage the app from our development hub. This is the preferred way if you are a third party company that wants to create an integration to Parakey to handle user and access.
How to create an app (multi-place integration)
How do we get developer access to try the Parakey API?
- To become a developer you need to have a Parakey account. Before you proceed please contact me at email@example.com and I will set up an account for you to get started.
- Sign in to My Parakey with the account you just created.
- Follow the steps for Place API (Single place integration) to try the API.
- Once the integration is ready, follow the steps under Moving to production.
All requests shall be done over HTTPS to https://api.parakey.co, the relative path prefix /v1.x indicates the version of the API. We will only change the version prefix on major API changes with possible breaking changes.
New in API 1.2
Starting with API version 1.2 we have created a new endpoint to manage AccessKeys. This endpoint is created to make it as simple as possible to add/update or remove access from users without the need to keep a state in your application.
Read more about how this endpoint work in the Manage Access article.
API enabled keys
Every key used in the integration needs to have API Enabled. We recommend creating specific keys that are only used together with the API. To see what keys are API enabled look for the API enabled badge in the list.
To enable a key, toggle "Allow for API access" in the key settings when creating or editing a key.
How do I find the ID for X?
As an API Administrator, you can always find the ID for your resources in My Parakey. Simply sign in to your account and follow these steps.
- domainId: Navigate to the Developer page by pressing the Development button in the top right corner (only visible if you are an API Administrator). Here you will find a list with all the Domains with the corresponding IDs that you have access too.
- accessId: Navigate to the Keys page, click on the row for the Key you are interested in. On the details page that is displayed on the left, scroll all the way down and you will find the access ID printed in gray.
Can I unlock the door with the API?
The API is only an integration with the Parakey mobile key distribution platform, to unlock the door the user will always need to use the Parakey app. The app uses Bluetooth to connect to the Parakey hardware to unlock the door.
How to test the integration
Once you are ready to start the integration we will create a demo Domain account for you to use, you can try all API features and sign in to My Parakey to verify that keys are being created as they should. If you want an end to end test you need to purchase the Parakey hardware or try at your customer's location (if they have Parakey installed).
What can I build using the integration?
- Booking system - automatically send mobile keys that lets your members unlock the door during their current booking.
- Business system integration - Sync your member or employee directory and automatically distribute mobile keys to your employees.
- Calendar integration - Send a mobile key to unlock the meeting rooms for a specific time slot.
- Guest notification - Send a message to the person who invited someone that notifies them when their guest has arrived and unlocked the door.